Okay, so maybe the Pink Floyd was a little “edgy”. What I wanted to do is start a discussion about the imagery and hopefully get into some deeper meaning about the role education has played, is playing, and will play in our world. Here are some images and thoughts that I get when I watch the clip. (I sure am glad I don’t teach with that guy!)
- Faceless students being hauled off (to become another brick in the wall?)
- The crushing of creativity & individuality.
- Rote memorization.
- Corporal Punishment.
- Students entering the school (box) in assembly line fashion.
- Individual identities going in and exiting as faceless beings.
- WHAT HAPPENS INSIDE THAT BOX?
- A maze, a big clock, a “teacher”.
- A lot of focus on feet – modernity marching on relentlessly?
- Egg carton like classrooms.
- The “machine” . . . gears and hammers pound & grinding kids into a common mass.
- Chaos ensues.
- Breaking down the wall – the wall of what though? Is it a symbol or a barrier?
- Is the resulting rebellion a form of self organization?
Anyone brave enough to chime-in?